Sunday, June 3, 2012

Welcome to WBF Conversations!

Wow....it has been awhile...The fire was re-lit today at The Church at Battlecreek, Pastor Alex Himaya  blew on the embers of my heart when he ended his sermon with a question

  What was the last thing God asked you to do?  Have you done it?


 My answer is..
writing heart thoughts about scripture and life in this blog .
and
NO.
I started in 2009 and it seems that since I committed to it by making a blog address, ( which literally took me hours due to my non computer love and lack of skills  ) I have found every excuse known NOT to do it.

The endless excuse  list begins with

*What do I have to say?
*I have nothing to say.
*Who cares what I have to say.
*I don't even care to say it, its hard to be committed to anything.
*By the time I want to talk about it, something else has happened.
*My kids are so sassy, I should be spending more time nagging them.
*I think I'll watch tv.
*I should clean.
*I must have misinterpreted the Holy Spirit prompt to do Weird But Fabulous anyway.
EEEEERRRRRCH.

I should've stopped right then and spanked myself.  A  conversation with  one of my favorite people etched deeply into my heart bobbed to the surface. Nearing the 5th or 6th time this question came up,  I asked  Dr. H, " But , Doctor, What if I think the words or instructions are from Him and they really aren't?"

"Cori, Jesus didn't die to leave you a weak Holy Spirit. I have no doubt you hear from the Lord, but then you take a vote."  

 Ouch.  I do  take a vote from my family,  heart friends, fickle friends, acquaintances and people I wouldn't even ask for plant care.... as well as the  other voices in my head regarding  leading from....... the Master of the Universe.  Hmmmm .  Color me embarrassed as I write this.  But life is about overcoming, right.  And taking the next step.  So, WBF conversations with some of my buddies  is my next step.

Some of my fave most "close to heaven" experiences (besides that  incredible marriage sex happening that comes out of nowhere....or heaven)  come from talking God and life with friends and fam.  Coffee talk.  Whether or not coffee is involved .   Real life stuff.  Most times laughing and /or crying, expressions of  regret, frustration, fear of ability to "do it right", courage,angst and always resolution.  Don't misunderstand me saying the issues always get resolved, because they don't.  As King David's  Psalms end with  acknowledgement in my words, "Yes, you are God, I am not. After all this pleading, and crying and fear and heartache and disappointment,   I put my heart and life back in your hands, because I trust you and what you have planned for my life.  Really, I do"

Often our talks have the same themes that began with Eve....Is this enough or is there something better out there? Are we truly loved for who we are? etc. etc.  You will love meeting Heather a talented, witty writer friend I met a couple years ago in Tulsa with a passion for God and a love of words,  and Tammy, my roommate from Tabor College back in the late 80's.  She is creative beyond belief with themes and decorating and events and color and style, she loves Jesus and good coffee and trusts both to meet all her needs ( not to the same degree...) And a couple other friends I havent  officially asked yet to play!  But I will...  So, invite your friends to our chat and may it stimulate intimacy and beauty in your life.

So topic for today...
.
What was the last thing God asked you to do?  Have you done it?


Ask him if you can't remember.  He loves intimate conversations with you and will stir your heart to move.  Pastor reminded us of what we already know to do as we listen... Love God, love others, talk about Jesus.

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to embark on this journey with you of uncovering, discovering, seeking, and speaking truth. Our talks fill me with a sense of hope and instill a deeper commitment to excavating the treasures God has planted in my life and sharing them with others.

    Alex has a habit of asking tough questions that can take me days, sometimes weeks, to digest. Though I haven't watched the sermon yet (I worked yesterday!), the question is quite relevant and speaks to the new theme of my life in recent months.

    God asked me to prune the dead branches to make room for new growth. I am doing that, but it's a slow, painstaking process that can mean saying good-bye to friendships (unhealthy ones) and personal interests (ones that keep me from fulfilling God's plan for my life). This pruning takes a lot of quiet reflection and examination, not to mention asking tough questions. As a Christian I want to bear fruit. I can blame my lack of fruit on external factors like weather and malnourishment. But it's me. All me. Cutting away the dead initially feels like a gaping wound. Eventually, with God's care and time, the wound heals and new growth occurs. I am not good at eventually. I want results NOW. Patience isn't my virtue. Ugh.

    My request is this: help me to see the dead branches. Speak truth to me so I can grow in Him.

    "I am the true grapevine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch of mine that doesn’t produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more."

    John 15:1-2 (NLT)

    ReplyDelete

Join in the conversation. You know you wanna.